.

.

Tuesday, April 29, 2014

If At First You Don't Suceed

Dear Tyson,

There's a saying that if you don't already know by heart, you certainly will within the next few years. Daddy says it often:

If at first you don't succeed, try and try again.
 
It seems an easy sentiment, but it's something I still struggle with on a daily basis. I want to do it right, do it the best and do it first. The try and try again part is hard for me to embrace.  There is an inherent nature to give up when I'm not good at something. And, I'm pretty quick to throw in the towel if I can't do it perfectly the first time I try. Unfortunately for you, despite looking so much like you're Daddy, you seem to have inherited your personality from your Momma.  Type A, a bit obsessive, and perfectionists-you & me.
 
A few weeks ago, you started a skating class. Within minutes, it quickly became clear that you were far behind the other four boys in your class. They skated faster, looked more comfortable on the ice and knew skills that you hadn't even begun to grasp yet. My stomach twisted as I watched you struggle to keep up with the class and despite the smile I had plastered to my face I whispered to Daddy that maybe you weren't ready for this particular class yet.
 
 
 
You came off the ice on the first day a little flustered. The next week you quietly told me that your stomach gets a little upset before you go skating. As I watched the second class, I ached to pull you out of it. To protect you from feeling like you weren't good enough. To put you in a class where you would be the one who skated ahead of all the others instead of the one who fell behind. To stop your stomach from hurting before you got on the ice.  
 
But I didn't.  Despite knowing exactly why your stomach was upset,  I also knew it was good for you to learn that lesson up there. The one Daddy must have said to you at least one hundred times during your nine weeks of skating lessons.
 
If at first you don't succeed, try and try again.
 
 
 
That's what exactly what you did, Tyson.  Tried and tried again. Nine weeks of not giving up, not getting frustrated and working hard to succeed at what you couldn't do when you started the class. You practiced hard and hard work pays off.
 
 
On your last day of class, I proudly watched as you skated with the other boys. You could easily demonstrate all of the skills they could, but most importantly you  looked comfortable and happy on the ice doing so. Trying and trying again led to you successfully passing Skating 3.
 
I am so so proud of you, Tyson.
 
Thank you for teaching you old Mommy some new tricks.
 
Love,
 
Momma
 
PS: This peanut got on the ice for the first time on your last day of class. She has a lot to learn from you, buddy. Start with that lesson up there.
 
 

 
 
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment