.

.

Thursday, February 28, 2013

Skating Lessons


Tyson started skating lessons this week.  Daddy was an amazing hockey player when he was younger (according to him) and spent many nights at the rink with his Daddy learning to skate. Skating shaped his childhood.  I, on the other hand, was an adequate figure skater who spent at least one competition crying after falling flat on my face. There was another incident on the ice with a figure skate blade, a jump, and my crotch that I won’t even get into.  Based on this, when our neighbors asked if we wanted to do skating lessons with the boys together, we decided that Daddy would accompany Tyson.

Unfortunately, Daddy happened to be out of town this week. THE FIRST WEEK. As a result I was forced to hold Tyson and myself up on the ice for 45 minutes. My back is thanking me today with a few spasms and a new walk that resembles the hunchback of Notre Dame.

Turns out? I still got it. And by that, I mean I can still stand on skates. Yay!




My kid can too. A feat that was particularly hard considering he was blindfolded by his helmet 90 percent of the time. The classes did a great job of teaching him how to fall down and get back up without falling again.  He managed to stand without assistance (even while singing “Head, Shoulders, Knees and Toes!”), get up on his feet several times without my help and skate the length of the ice rink with a little balance help from me (blind leading the blind, I tell ya-literally and figuratively).




Also, he asked when we will get to play with the puck the whole way home. Soo….at least I have thousands of dollars in hockey expenses to look forward to.

We’ll be back next week (with a helmet that allows him to see), but thankfully Daddy’s back can suffer  the consequences.



No comments:

Post a Comment