.

.

Thursday, January 26, 2012

My Ticket to Retiring Early

Dear Tyson,


If you’re old enough to read this, you’re likely already old enough to have realized that hockey was a HUGE part of your Daddy’s life growing up. He was on skates for the first time when he was 2 years old and according to him he quickly developed into one of the best skaters in the state of MN. Apparently no one could catch him on skates. He’s willing to tell anyone who will listen just how good of a hockey player he was. ( I say was, he says is. Potato/Potato) Go ahead, ask him. I’ll wait.


Did he put together a bulleted list similar to the one he generated for me? A few of his accomplishments include being a member of Team Minnesota (which apparently means he was one of the best 15 hockey players in his age group) from 1991-1995, setting a state record with 7 assists in one game in 1994, and playing for the University of St. Thomas from 1999-2001. He also was inducted into the North St. Paul Hockey Hall of Fame in 2009. This is a picture of your father on that night:





You were 3 weeks old and home with Auntie Katie. I was sleep deprived and pretty sure I didn’t realize how important this night was to your Daddy. I’m sure your recognize your uncles Brian and Bege, but you probably have no idea who the other guy is. It’s Bret Hedican. Bret grew up in North St. Paul across the street from your Daddy. He went on to play hockey in the NHL for several teams. He also competed with two US Olympic Hockey teams, and (my favorite) married Olympic ice skater Kristi Yamaguchi. They are the epitome of the quintessential skating family. Bret was inducted into the North St. Paul High School Hockey Hall of Fame on the same night as your Daddy. Pretty cool, right?


Needless to say, your Daddy loves hockey. That’s why this moment:








 Will likely live to be one of the best days of your Daddy's life. That’s right, you put on skates for the first time when you were also 2.










And apparently, you were good….really good. You were able to stand up without assistance on dry land. I’ve been told that this is super impressive.




And you loved to skate around the rink with Daddy and your friend Drew.






Daddy assures me that if you can skate like him and shoot and stick handle better than him, you will be in the NHL and we will be RICH. I haven't quit working yet, but I did start looking into private lessons for you-dream big, little one (and I will too)!

Love,


Mommy              

No comments:

Post a Comment